Friday, September 11, 2009

Disposition Blog: Respect

There are many different interpretations of what exactly respect implies. One thing about it that seems to be fairly universal is that people feel the need to be respected by others, whether it be from their family, their peers, or their superiors. Respect is an especially important thing to me, because I have sometimes felt a lack of respect from some people. I know how much it can hurt to feel that you are not respected by someone. Given this, I will always do my best to make sure that I can respect my students, and that they can respect me.

Respect in the classroom in my opinion is based on a mutual understanding of the students and the teacher to work for the common goal of acquiring knowledge. There are many ways to form this understanding, and the ways it happen will vary from classroom to classroom. I have come to respect a variety of teachers in different ways and for different reasons. Among these include teachers who have chosen to treat the class as adults. Other teachers that I respect chose to take into consideration all of the student's desires and concerns.

In all of those situations, the classroom dynamic was an open and academically stimulating environment. Those are the classes that I remember the most from High School. The other important fact about these classes is that they are the classes that I learned the most in. There are still a lot of things that I remember from all of these classes.

In my classroom, I will try to set up an environment that employs both of these methods. I will always do my best to make sure that I not only treat my students as the mature adults that they are becoming. I will also try to take each student's unique learning styles into consideration, and constantly evaluate myself as a teacher for each class that I teach. In this way, I will try to set up a respectful environment in my classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment