Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Inventiveness

For this particular disposition, I'm not so sure that I agree with the name. To me "Inventiveness" restricts the disposition a little bit. I think that inventiveness is instead a subsection of both Creativity and Imagination. That being said, I will discuss the disposition instead of just its name.

Creativity is a crucial skill for anyone to have. It is important to remember that we are not raising robots, but children. And while professionalism is a valuable skill, it is important to remember that a proper balance of professionalism and creativity is important. Uninhibited creativity can be an issue, but it is more important for children to learn to be creative than for them to learn to be professional. Professionalism can (and should) be taught later.

I really don't think that creativity can be taught. It can be either encouraged and celebrated, allowing the natural creativity in all kids to develop. There is, however, a certain level of creativity given to each person. To use a musical example (which I know I do a lot), each person has a unique voice that usually fits into or close to a specific category. A woman who is born an alto (or mezzo soprano to be technically correct) will likely never have the high notes of a soprano, but that doesn't mean that her voice is any less special. likewise, people have different and unique skills and traits, including creativity, and encouraging all of these traits to develop in students is important

No comments:

Post a Comment